Like any good parent, I want to ensure my child receives the best education and up-bringing that reflects my values. What better way then to expose them to a bunch of movies!!!
What makes a geek movie?
To provide me with some guidelines for selection, I have defined criteria for this list. The movie must be significant in one of the following ways:
- Visual effects
- Technology & humanity – provide social, cultural, or philosophical commentary on the subject. Comedy is acceptable.
- Geek storyline – tell a story that resonates with geeks (geek kid is outkast, learns technology, saves world, gets girl)
Here is a list that will get my daughter started with a proper geek cultural education.
- The Never Ending Story
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
- Star Wars series
- The Last Starfighter
- Time Bandits
- The Dark Crystal
- War Games
- Back to the Future
- Short Circuit
- Star Trek
- Space Balls
- Indiana Jones & the Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom
- The Lord of the Rings (1978 animated)
- The Fifth Element
- Real Genius
- Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure
- Flight of the Navigator
- Iron Giant
- The Incredibles
- Justice League: The New Frontier
- City of Ember
When she gets older, we will start on these.
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Planet of the Apes
- The Matrix
- Lord of the Rings Series
- Weird Science
- 12 Monkeys
- Fahrenheit 451
- Rocky Horror Picture Show